The Bitch Box

Rants and Raves about Whatever Catches My Eye and Upsets Me (and sadly, I am so easily upset!)

Thursday, November 16, 2006

Common Sense is obviously the first fatality in any conflict

It seems discussions about hijab, niqaab, burquas and whatever else has been inflicted on women in the name of religion, honor and shame are proliferating these days. Nothing like a little war of religions to get THAT topic to the fore. Pity that noone seems to want to discuss the fact that it's strange that only women have something to hide, not men, but well, we are used to that. Obviously Gods just about everywhere do consider a woman's body far more shameful and needing some cover-up than a man's body. Which is strange, considering that most creation myths tend to start out claiming people were created equal in the beginning. Well, who expects logic from their gods?

However, there doesn't seem to be an end to how far the discussions about Muslima garb can go. As a result our "War for Western, Liberal, Democratic Values" (or whatever) gets increasingly un-liberal and un-democratic. And increasingly more Muslimas in Western countries start taking up garb their mothers never even considered wearing because they are royally pissed off and try to make a stand for their rights.

As was to be expected, both sides involved have gone utterly nuts in their protestations. Care for some examples?

It seems that women's right to walk around unrecognizable is being threatened. How about that. Have you heard about Jack Straw? Well, I hadn't paid much attention and didn't really know what went on. I thought he had done a Clinton. Heck, I thought he must have asked habitually for a striptease from his female visitiors or something from the outcries I read about. Well, not quite. It seems he made some outrageous requests that obviously really, really should enrage every openminded woman. When women visited his office with their faces covered, Straw asked them to remove the face veil because he believes it makes communication easier.
I must say, I was amazed to learn that somebody unidentifieable is even allowed to go in to see a foreign minister. Would that not be a bit of a security problem?
Come on, what's all the outcry about his words? He did not insult Islam or women or whatever!!

On the other side, the Dutch have decided to once and for all shed any liberal pretenses and go really overboard. They just agreed on a total ban on the wearing of burqas and other Muslim face veils in public. They talk about security. Well, the Muslim community in Holland figures this security problem is about 50 women. At least right now. I guess if I was a Muslim teenage girl in Holland with only some anger I'd put on a niqaab tomorrow. See how many females will wear it in a year. I agree with limitations on dress in certain public functions and places, but in general public? Are they nuts? Whatever happened to freedom?


Well, I have checked out the Koran on what it has to say on the topic of covering up, in the form of niqaab or burqa (leaving nothing but the eyes visible, if even that) - and as was to be expected in a god-inspired publication, it is unclear on the point. Depending on who reads it, a veil is required - or not. It all comes down to the proper translation and/or interpretation of words. When is a hijab a screen, and when is it a piece of clothing? Would you consider hair an adornment, or is that jewelry? Were certain hadith that imply a face veil meant for the general female public or rather only for Mohammed's wifes, who, after all lived an awfully public life in the main mosque in Madinah?
All this uncertainity leaves the field wide open to any kind of heart-felt conviction, pro or con. Take your pick and queue up for your spot in the line for the fight.
One thing is for sure: The Koran does ask women to dress modestly and to cover their bossoms. The consensus in most of the Muslim world seems to be for a woman to wear modest clothes and a hijab covering (more or less) of the hair and the neck. This is also the dress code that most Muslim women follow. And keep in mind, even in Iran, the arch-axis of evil, women do not wear a face veil in public.
There are some more definite statements in favour of the face veil in the Hadith, but since they aren't god-given they just might be open to a bit more interpretation - after all, they are basically a collection of gossip on what the prophet said, well after himself had died and was therefore unable to protest.

However, it is interesting that there is a definite spot where a woman is NOT supposed to wear a niqqab or burqua - on the hajj. The once in a lifetime pilgrimage to Mecca specifically requires women to keeping the face uncovered and only wear a hijab to cover her hair.

I happen to believe, if it is good enough for God, it is good enough for his believers.

1 Comments:

  • At March 13, 2022 at 9:07 AM, Blogger Steven J Morris said…

    I am from USA. I was suffering from HEPATITIS B for over 3 years, i was hopeless until one of my friend directed me to a herbal DR. Dr Chike on youtube, she said the Dr has herbal medicine that treat HEPATITIS B also said the Dr has helped people with. HERPES, CANCER, DIABETES, HPV, HERPES, HSV 1 .2, Fever, Fibromyalgia, Fatigue and chronic pains. At first I never believed her but after a lot of talk. I decided to contact him, just few days ago i contacted him and he told me what to do which i did and he sent to me a herbal medicine via {DHL} with prescriptions on how i will take it for a period of days. After i finished taking the medicine for 2 weeks he told me to go for a test which i also did and when the result came out i was surprised to see that i am negative. I am proud to tell you that I am the happiest person on earth. Big thanks to Dr Chike herbs .. I pray you find a solution in him. For more information on how to get treated Contact Dr on, text/call via: +1 (719) 629 0982 WhatsApp . +233502715551, or Facebook page, @ Dr Chike Herbal Remedy.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home