Politeness and Honesty
I came back from Europe just this last week and was very pleased to be going out to a restaurant and find myself treated extremely politely and friendly by the staff.
Now, this may be the usual, expected behaviour for serving staff in the American eye, but trust me, it isn't necessary what you get in Europe.
I have found that service in Italy, while often enough lacking in finesse and professional efficiency, is at least usually friendly and courteous. I guess this has to do with the fact that Italians generally are an effusive, friendly people who have no problems relating to others.
France? Well, better people than I have bitched about the legendary French service (although it has to be said that all these apocryphal stories tend to be set in either Paris or some swanky restaurant elsewhere. I have found that service in small cafes and restaurants outside Paris is no worse than anywhere else).
Germany? Too often service is surly and slow, smiling obviously is considered indecent exposure of teeth and catching some waiters eyes for the bill can take as long as the dinner beforehand.
England and Ireland aren't really renowned for fancy service, either, though I will admit that most of my culinary exploits there happened in hole-in-the-wall establishments whose only saving grace was that they were open really late, after the pubs closed. And Chippies. Lets definitely not forget Chippies and Curry Houses.
But one thing seems to unite just about every person just about everywhere (outside America, that is). They love to bitch about those lying American waiters: "God, it's so fake, you know. It's terrible, noone really is interested in you personally. They are just so nice because they aren't really making any wages, so they rely on tips. That's the only reason why those waiters are so nice."
Keep in mind that we are not talking about people you chat up in a pub here. We are talking about people whose job it is to serve you cheerfully. Why the heck should they care about you personally? Who cares if this smililng waiter thinks you're a pathetic slob who should be put down for his own good, or believes burquahs were invented for women just like you (for the uninitiated, burquahs are these full-body veils that most people who aesthetically pollute the beaches should be wearing)?
What is it that makes people so smugly convinced that honest European disdain and rudeness are somehow superior to fake American politeness? Well, give me fake any day. After all, people don't go out for dinner just for the food but the atmosphere as well. Which means, they pay for a a nice place and nice service as well.
I know what I am talking about, I have perfected my own spiel long ago. If I am itching to go out, I stop bothering washing the dishes or cleaning the table. I cook something horrible and sit there glaring at the husband. Works every time. Usually he will even treat me to a drink beforehand (come to think of it, he usually has several). And then dinner at a place where people actually smile at us. So you see I know what I am talking about.
And for the rest of you, give it a rest. If the only way to get good, efficient and friendly service with a smile is cutting the waiters' wages down to nothing so they'll smile for tips, I'll say let's start cutting the wages of serving staff in any place where people complain about lousy, surly service. Let them work for their money!
Now, this may be the usual, expected behaviour for serving staff in the American eye, but trust me, it isn't necessary what you get in Europe.
I have found that service in Italy, while often enough lacking in finesse and professional efficiency, is at least usually friendly and courteous. I guess this has to do with the fact that Italians generally are an effusive, friendly people who have no problems relating to others.
France? Well, better people than I have bitched about the legendary French service (although it has to be said that all these apocryphal stories tend to be set in either Paris or some swanky restaurant elsewhere. I have found that service in small cafes and restaurants outside Paris is no worse than anywhere else).
Germany? Too often service is surly and slow, smiling obviously is considered indecent exposure of teeth and catching some waiters eyes for the bill can take as long as the dinner beforehand.
England and Ireland aren't really renowned for fancy service, either, though I will admit that most of my culinary exploits there happened in hole-in-the-wall establishments whose only saving grace was that they were open really late, after the pubs closed. And Chippies. Lets definitely not forget Chippies and Curry Houses.
But one thing seems to unite just about every person just about everywhere (outside America, that is). They love to bitch about those lying American waiters: "God, it's so fake, you know. It's terrible, noone really is interested in you personally. They are just so nice because they aren't really making any wages, so they rely on tips. That's the only reason why those waiters are so nice."
Keep in mind that we are not talking about people you chat up in a pub here. We are talking about people whose job it is to serve you cheerfully. Why the heck should they care about you personally? Who cares if this smililng waiter thinks you're a pathetic slob who should be put down for his own good, or believes burquahs were invented for women just like you (for the uninitiated, burquahs are these full-body veils that most people who aesthetically pollute the beaches should be wearing)?
What is it that makes people so smugly convinced that honest European disdain and rudeness are somehow superior to fake American politeness? Well, give me fake any day. After all, people don't go out for dinner just for the food but the atmosphere as well. Which means, they pay for a a nice place and nice service as well.
I know what I am talking about, I have perfected my own spiel long ago. If I am itching to go out, I stop bothering washing the dishes or cleaning the table. I cook something horrible and sit there glaring at the husband. Works every time. Usually he will even treat me to a drink beforehand (come to think of it, he usually has several). And then dinner at a place where people actually smile at us. So you see I know what I am talking about.
And for the rest of you, give it a rest. If the only way to get good, efficient and friendly service with a smile is cutting the waiters' wages down to nothing so they'll smile for tips, I'll say let's start cutting the wages of serving staff in any place where people complain about lousy, surly service. Let them work for their money!
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home